Unit 33 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
I am not going to lie: this first term’s assignment has been challenging on many fronts. I love a good challenge but I had not clearly anticipated the many hurdles I would face. This was partly my own mistake: I made a quick decision to embark on a subject without anticipating many aspects and without appreciating the difficulty to convey a message or a meaning.
I also blame my natural enthusiastic nature and a great deal of naivety! But you live, you learn.
The lesson is to start more broadly on a subject, do some research and find out what has been created on the subject and then narrow it down and give your own point of view/interpretation.
From my original idea, I had to readjust the content of my project. I produced a less obvious series of young people who agreed to pose for me (some people I knew and some people I asked in the street and who were total strangers) and share with me their views with regards to religion and social media. I wanted to capture how young people lived their religion in our current society and whether social media had changed the way people lived and shared their beliefs. I was interested in getting photos of young people only but with different background and different religion (if any).
The class helped me to make my final selection based on small prints I brought to College. It was really helpful and actually put together I perked up and felt a bit reassured that my work was not a complete fail.
Under each photo, a little piece of paper will be placed to indicate religion and whether they would share their religious views on social media.
One of the things, however that Zig detected, was that a few of my shots were not so sharp in the eyes, like in this photo:
I was slightly puzzled and disappointed with myself. I use a single point of focus on my camera, always focus on the eyes first, keep my finger on the shutter button and then recompose. From Zig’s analysis, it looks like I may be moving my camera too much when recomposing which is something I am going to have to focus a lot in the next few months especially since I enjoy portraiture so much.
Other initial shots showed some camera shake, I was mortified!
In the end, all I can say is that this project was another learning curve!
In terms of health and safety, I tried to shoot people in locations where it was safe to move around and where there was no traffic like at the bus stop. When shooting at Roehampton Uni it was by the library etc.
I asked students to give me their agreement for the project and will keep use of the photos only for this project.
The selection of photos I am presenting was taken with my tamron 17-50mm lens and my 50mm one (I shoot with a cropped sensor camera, a canon 7d mark II). I always try to shoot with the lowest possible ISO to keep image quality but with the grim weather or dusk conditions I had to up my ISO quite a bit on a few occasions.
I did some light editing in camera raw and printed the photos on Lustre paper as I felt it suited more the type of portraits and feel of the whole project. I printed 9 portraits in 8×12 inches format which was a suggestion from Zig and which I was pleased about when they came in the post. I used DSCL and the overall print quality and colours matched my expectations.
Technical info (from left to right)
Photo 1 ISO 1000 f1.8 1/20 Canon 50mm lens
Photo 2 ISO 400 f2.8 1/100 Canon 50mm lens
Photo 3 ISO 320 f4 1/250 Tamron 17-50mm lens
Photo 1 ISO320 f4 1/160 Tamron 17-50mm lens
Photo 2 ISO320 f3.2 1/250 Tamron 17-50mm lens
Photo 3 ISO 500 f4 Tamron 17-50mm lens
Photo 1 ISO 500 f5 1/200 Tamron 17-50mm lens
Photo 2 ISO 500 f5 1/400 Tamron 17-50mm lens
Photo 3 ISO 500 f5.6 1/250 Tamron 17-50mm lens